Stutz, Harry Clayton
- Carl F. W. Larson
Stutz, Harry Clayton (12 September 1876–26 June 1930), automobile manufacturer, was born near Ansonia, Ohio, the son of Henry J. Stutz, a farmer, and Elizabeth Schneider. After completing his public schooling, Stutz moved to Dayton, Ohio, in either 1894 or 1895, working first for the Davis Sewing Machine Company and then for the National Cash Register Company. In 1897 he opened his own machine shop and repair business in Dayton, and in 1898 he built his own two-horsepower automobile, named “Old Hickory,” partly from used farm implement items. In the same year he married Clara Marie Dietz. The couple would have one daughter. A second auto was built in 1900, and on the basis of this production, Stutz Manufacturing Company was established to build single-cylinder gasoline engines. In late 1902 Stutz sold the company to the Lindsay Automobile Parts Company of Indianapolis, where Stutz then moved....