du Pont, Henry
- Christopher D. Felker
du Pont, Henry (08 August 1812–08 August 1889), manufacturer, was born at Eleutherian Mills, near Wilmington, Delaware, the second son of Eleuthère Irénée du Pont de Nemours, an industrialist, and Sophie Madelaine Dalmas. In 1823 he was sent to school at Constant’s Mount Airy Seminary in Germantown, Pennsylvania. He left there in 1829, upon his appointment to the U.S. Military Academy, West Point, New York, from which he graduated in 1833, becoming brevet second lieutenant of the Fourth U.S. Artillery. Joining his company at Fort Monroe, Virginia, du Pont was ordered with a battalion of his regiment to Fort Mitchell in the Creek Indian country of Alabama. On 15 July 1834 he resigned his commission in the army at the insistence of his father and returned to Delaware to assist him in the manufacture of gunpowder. His father died suddenly in October 1834 and du Pont helped run the business, first with his brother-in-law, ...